Third Church – Our Beginnings
Our church began in 1924, when a group of forty-six Christian Scientists held a meeting to organize a third Christian Science Church in Dallas. In 1925, the lot at the corner of Hawthorne and Oak Lawn was purchased for the site of the new church home. The church formed a Building Committee in January 1926 and Mark Lemmon – a leading Dallas architect – was selected to design the new church building. In 1928, the membership began raising funds for church construction. To provide a spiritual foundation for this activity, the members held monthly meetings to pray for the church building project. Construction began in 1930, and the first services in the completed sanctuary were held August 9, 1931.